Dinner

Painting: "American Dream" Ava Grant, 2018

Dinner
Over paper napkins, chipped china, and boxed pasta,
my eight year old
announces he spent thirty minutes
huddled with classmates
under his teacher’s desk,
small, sweaty bodies
squished together in fear of the unknown,
"We have to practice, Mum."
My twelve year old
decides which space
would hold her and friends
in Spanish class.
"The problem is, nothing is bulletproof."
My thirteen year old
poses the dilemma of being shot
or jumping out her third floor
English class window
"Not sure which would hurt worse."
I twirl spaghetti and
anxiety, fears, frustration
around my fork
and swallow.
I choke on the callous sound bytes
"a generation of trauma and violence"
"lone wolf"
"loner"
I ingest the ignorance of rhetoric fed on silver spoons to
open, hungry mouths.
I try to digest the rancid reality overpowering
the sweet innocence of my children’s words.
I sip wine--
blood red--
a color on all of our hands.
"I’ll do the dishes tonight"
met with glee
so desperate to wash my hands.

Comments

Popular Posts