The Boy Who Swallowed Stars


89f720bef13530fc5a984f6352ac86c6.jpg (500×888)
The Boy Who Swallowed Stars

My father hid our yellow stars under his pillow,
a reminder that hiding in the basement favored being outside
wearing them.
Those yellow stars illuminated
my world in the dank cellar.

My father, the storyteller:
Before you were born,
 it was written in the stars your name, Simcha
 flew into your mother’s head
 the moment you breathed air.
Simcha lit up the sky,
stitched together by fate, hope, and circumstance.

Stars,
the tangible yellow ones
and the gaseous ones I imagined in the night sky
became my best company.

At night,
I swallowed each one
devoured the hope of light.

Published in The Stars, Outrider Press, 2018
Performed as micro-play, 2017
Shown in Bear Gallery, Montserrat College of Art, 2017


Comments

Popular Posts